Our usual mode of perserving is to dip our leaves in wax, which makes for lovely leaves, but I wanted to try something new this year.
So we tried glycerin.
You only need glycerin, water, a salad plate (or plate with an edge; disposable plate style), and your leaves.
We placed our leaves on a styrofoam plate,
and mixed well a few tablespoons of glycerin with twice as much water in a little bowl.
(one part glycerin to two parts water.)
When it seemed to be stirred well, we poured some of the water mixture over our leaves. (Save what you don't use for a future project, coming soon!)
After arranging the leaves to make sure they were flat (not bent or edges turned under),
we placed another plate of the same size over our first to weigh them down into the glycerin - this cuts down on how much solution you need to use.
We let our leaves stay in the glycerin water for two days,
and then took them out, and blotted them dry.
At this point the leaves were very soft and limp.
We set ours out on our nature table, and as the day wore on, they dried and started to curl at the edges a bit.
Some were too curled (sort of closing up), so some we flipped over (to unbend), and some we sat something on top of, to keep them from curling too much.
After this day of being out of the glycerin, they were ready and fully preserved.
They're pliable and soft, and the feel of them is similar to silk flowers.
They're now ready for games, crafts, and nature art.
I look forward to sharing our ideas with you!